Venezuela’s electricity system was targeted by a “terrorist attack” on Sunday, Electricity Minister Nestor Reverol said, referring to power outages in the Caracas area and other parts of the Latin American country.
There was an explosion and fire at a power substation in the Jose Angel Lamas commune of northern Aragua state, Reverol told state broadcaster VTV on the phone. The incident caused power outages in the Central District, while also leaving parts of the states of Zulia, Merida, Tachira, Nueva Esparta and Falcon without electricity.
The minister insisted the blast was “A new terrorist attack” in the electrical system of Venezuela, which came as part of “Multifaceted war” ongoing against the country.
Electricity sabotage is one “Important aspect” of this war, with the government and the National Electricity System (SEN) that “Fight every day” to resist such efforts, he added.
Electricity supply has already been fully restored in the capital, while authorities are working to bring the grid at full capacity in other affected areas.
Venezuela’s electrical system has been hit hard by incidents recently, with the People Affected by Outages Committee, an NGO that monitors power outages, reporting more than 96,000 electrical failures and damage to some 38,000 appliances this year alone.
Reverol did not mention those responsible for “Sabotage”, but Venezuelan authorities have previously blamed the US for similar incidents. Caracas accuses Washington of trying to undermine the country and remove its Socialist leader, Nicolas Maduro, from office.
The US is not denying its plans for regime change for Venezuela, imposing crippling sanctions on the country’s economy and recognizing political rival Maduro-Juan Guaido, the self-proclaimed interim president.
On Saturday, Venezuelan Vice President Delcy Rodriguez announced that the government will soon present “trial” that a massive outage that left the country without electricity for a whole week and caused 43 deaths in March 2019 was a “sabotim electricity”.
At the time, Maduro insisted that the power grid collapsed as a result of a “Cyber attack” of supported by America , saying that then US President Donald Trump was “with responsability” for this “Sabotage.”
But some local energy experts attributed the disruption to insufficient funding and poor maintenance of the country’s electricity grid, as well as a lack of properly trained staff.
To be part of the group »AOL“just click: Join Group and your request will be approved immediately.