Cholera cases have risen in the southern Kiwi province of the Democratic Republic of Congo more than a week since the outbreak of the disease, health officials announced on Sunday.
“Currently, the number of cases has reached 138, out of 96, with 11 deaths recorded in 14 health areas out of 22 we have,” Olivier Kabarata, chief medical officer at Kitutu Health Zone in Mwenga, told reporters.
Kabararata said that while the spread has slowed in some health areas, the situation is deteriorating in the Mapale health area.
“The consequences are such that the population can suffer from it. So far, there are no major actions for water treatment. The area has no developed water sources. “There are no catchments,” added Kabarata.
Mwenga territory administrator Bundya Kiwasi first reported the outbreak on September 7 in the Matebo, Busakizi, Hope, Nyamibungu and Mapale health areas before it spread to the Kitutu health area.
In June, health officials reported a cholera outbreak in North Kivu province, which recorded 59 cases and one death.AA
To be part of the group »AOL“just click: Join Group and your request will be approved immediately.