The French government on Wednesday called on the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) to keep his promise of an “action plan” to combat acts of sexual abuse by WHO staff.
An independent commission released a report on Tuesday stating that World Health Organization (WHO) staff were among 83 workers who sexually abused women and girls while fighting the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
This is considered to be the biggest scandal in the history of UN missions.
The French Foreign Ministry’s call for WHO Director Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus to take action within 10 days comes less than a week after France, Germany and other countries announced they had appointed him for a second five-year term.
The deadline for candidacies for the position of head of the WHO expired on 23 September.
The commission, which interviewed dozens of women who said they had been offered jobs in exchange for sex, found that 21 of the 83 perpetrators had been hired by the WHO.
Local women are also suspected of being drunk, “ambushed” in hospitals, forced to have sex and two became pregnant.
The Director General of the World Health Organization, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, has said that this is “unreasonable”.
He apologized to the victims, saying “what happened to you should not happen to anyone and is unforgivable.”
To be part of the group »AOL“just click: Join Group and your request will be approved immediately.